A dental implant is a titanium screw placed into the jawbone where the tooth is missing. A porcelain crown is then attached to it.
This is a longer and more expensive treatment than having dentures or a bridge but it is very successful and leaves the other teeth untouched.
An implant is a permanent replacement which will match the colour of your natural teeth. You care for it by regular brushing and flossing in the same way as your natural teeth.
Why should I have implants?
Missing or extracted teeth should be replaced to prevent surrounding teeth from moving towards the gap, to maintain your ability to chew and for your appearance. Although a bridge or dentures can be used for this purpose, a dental implant is a much longer term solution and thanks to recent developments with materials and procedures, implants are an increasingly popular and more affordable alternative.
An implant allow fixed replacement of the missing tooth with a porcelain crown without using other teeth as anchors. Because the crown is coming out of the gum, it looks more like a real tooth than a porcelain bridge does.
Is an implant the best option for me?
The process of replacing a missing tooth with an implant can take 4-6 months from start to finish and is more expensive than a bridge but is the best option if you:
- Want to avoid removal of enamel of any other teeth
- Want the most long term and predictable result
- Want a solution that is as close as possible to a natural tooth
What you should know:
- Implants can also be used to make loose dentures more secure
- Home care of implants and regular dental visits are as essential as for natural teeth
- In most cases the implant is allowed to heal for 4 months before the crown is fitted
- You may need to have a temporary bridge or denture during the healing stage
Dental Implant Case Studies
Two implants and four crowns, costing €6800, time – 10 months
Contact Wellington Quay Dental Centre today on 041 983 8740 or use the form on the Contact Us page to book your initial consultation.